Monday, June 7, 2010

An accessible mountain
















After a really horrendous rainstorm last night, the day today started out pretty cloudy. I didn't think it was going to be a nice day. We spent some time trying to decide whether to try biking, because the weather looked too iffy. So we decided to go back to the park in the pickup and headed for Cadillac Mountain. This is the highest mountain on the east coast. It is only 1500 feet. However, unlike the ones that we are used to in Oregon, there are not any smaller mountains around it. It rises right up from the seashore.
When you get to the top there are all kinds of signs to stay on the paths and to leave only footprints. The paths are all wheelchair accessible. I kept feeling like this was an accessible mountain - unlike the ones that I am used to. There are also some well marked trails going off in every direction. There were several folks who biked up to the top - and who seemed to get there without even being out of breath. The rocks and the breaks in the rocks were also interesting. We tried to imagine what kinds of forces it would take to create rock formations like that.
It was windy at the top, but the view was spectacular. I took many pictures and once again I realized that I can't tell one from the other. But it was beautiful. I was also really proud of Bob because he walked more than he usually does. He must have enjoyed the panorama also.
We then left there and drove to Bar Harbor and spent some time in the Indian museum here. There was an historical timeline and this was the first time that I realized that the Indians did not have the right to vote until the 1950's. There was an exhibit about the Native American struggle for freedoms and what it took to get the right to cross the border into Canada, or to retain their fishing rights. There was also quite a bit of stuff on how they lived. Apparently many artifacts were just scooped up initially and the context in which they were found was lost. They are working harder to do a better job of locating and dating the artifacts so we have a better idea of how they lived. I left wondering why Oregon does not do a better job of chronicling the Native Americans. (Maybe they do in the High Desert Museum. Now I have to go see that one.)
We wandered around downtwon Bar Harbor and did some shopping. Cute stores. I got some blueberry pie. Yum. I have got to get back onto my diet, but I do like blueberries. (Sunshine, you have to come here. Everything is about blueberries.)
We have decided to move on. It is going to rain for the next few days and we would rather be moving than sitting in the trailer waiting for the rain to stop. But I have finally convinced Bob that we should just go without a particular destination or reservation. He has also promised that if I say that I want to turn around to stop and see something that he will let me do that and not get so upset. We have decided not to go into Canada with Honey. We have heard too many stories about what happens at the border in terms of the agents tearing things apart. If we go we will leave Honey at a campground and just go for a night or two and stay in a motel or with friends.

1 comment:

  1. 1500 feet? Council Crest is over 1000', and that's just a hill in Portland. I remember being in NY and everyone telling me how cool Greek Peak is. And it was 2000' and felt like skiing down the hill we lived on.

    Silly East Coasters just don't know what a "mountain" actually is!

    ReplyDelete