Friday, June 4, 2010

Rethinking the plan

OK, so no pictures. Yesterday I forgot my camera and today my camera would not work. Yuck.

Four months is a long time to be on the road. It is even longer if the weather is not so great. Yesterday it was pouring all day. We drove to the LLBean flagship store(s) (there are about four of them on one campus) Big and expensive. No deals and nothing really to see. I did buy a few small things and the cashier couldn't get the scanner to work for one of the items and said that she was not allowed to just put in the price. After standing there watching her try to scan the item in for 15 minutes, guess what I decided? I decided that I did not need that item at all.

We left and drove into downtown Portland Maine. It is much smaller than the one in Oregon. (I knew that on an intellectual level - it is always different to actually see it.) The good news about a rainy day is that no one else wants to park in the tourist areas. We found a spot and parked and just walked up and down the Old Harbor area. The down side is that most of the shops were closed and the tourist buses and boats were not going out. We walked around for two hours and then headed back to the car.

When I went online last night I realized that today was going to be a sunny day. But Saturday is going to rain again. We had been planning to leave here this morning and travel to Bar Harbor. That would have meant that we were traveling on the good day and camping on the rainy days. We decided to stay here another day just because the weather was going to be nice and we could even just sit in the campground and enjoy the nice weather.

As we were talking about our plans both Bob and I admitted to each other that we are getting tired of bad weather and that going to Nova Scotia will mean more bad weather for a longer period of time. The 10 day projections for there are mostly rain - only 3 days of even partial sun in the next 10 days. This is not what either of us want to do. We decided to think about it more later.

Today started out cloudy but soon became a beautiful sunny day. We drove to Old Orchard Beach, paid for parking and spent the entire afternoon sitting in beach chairs on the beach. We then went into the restaurant right behind us and ordered hamburgers. I haven't had a hamburger in months. I took about three bites and started to feel strange. Then I broke out in a cold sweat and had to lie down. It felt as if my blood pressure was going really low again. Maybe there is so little stress in my life that I have to decrease my blood pressure meds even more. I don't have my blood pressure cuff with me to measure so I don't know for sure what is happening. I won't take the meds tomorrow. Now I am feeling better.

We have decided what to do tomorrow, but I don't know what we will do after that. I have really gotten on Bob's case for making me do all of the planning and then complaining about what I planned (we had a small incident on the drive along the Portland coast where he was tired and blamed me for not realizing how much traffic there would be. I pointed out that I had no more way of knowing than he and I had asked him what he wanted to do and he had agreed that this was a good plan. He backed off.) Neither of us really have any idea of what will happen next on the trek. We even talked about just going home. We are going to make lists and try to decide what it is that we want to do. We have complete flexibility and can do whatever we want. We are not tied to any plan. We both want some sun and some warmth. I don't know beyond that. We will see. It is likely at this point that we will skip Nova Scotia - may just go into Canada enough to see my friend in Montreal. Whatever happens Bob is going to do more of the planning from now on.

2 comments:

  1. The coolest thing about The Greak Trek is that you can do whatever you want! The hardest thing about The Greak Trek is deciding what you want to do.

    I love you both.

    ReplyDelete