Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Geting close to home







We are camping at a beautiful resort in South Dakota, but we have no cell phone access and the wifi is iffy. So Bob and I are in a bar, drinking beer, eating nachos, and I am blogging. I never included the pictures of Marquette, so some of the ones above are from Marquette. Minnesota was interesting. It reminded me a little of Tuscany, except they were growing corn instead of grapes and olives. We stayed two nights in a WalMart parking lot. Not bad.
The resort is absolutely wonderful. It is huge. Two large heated pools, two hot tubs, a jumping pillow and many playgrounds and activities for the kids, a water slide, nightly movies and entertainment, wine tasting, whew!! When we checked in they said that many people come and never leave.
Mt. Rushmore was gorgeous, but it is clearly a tourist attraction and was intended to be such. The idea was to draw folks to South Dakota. The whole area is a trouist attraction. You cannot believe how many from houses of mystery to wild west towns.
We spent today in Deadwood. A lot of history. We gambled and walked and had a good day. (We didn't go to Crazy Horse becuase they wanted $10 per person just to drive in. We looked at it from afar.)
I want to eat more nachos and drink more beer so I will sign off.

2 comments:

  1. The resort sounds fantastic! I'm so glad you're having a great time and enjoying the nachos. :) ~Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the CrazyHorse price. I just checked my Quicken software & found that the price hasn't changed since we were in 2006.
    If you ever get through there again I'd like to say it was well worth the $20 for two.
    We spent hours there. There's a museum with all kinds of interesting things & the history of CrazyHorse. We stayed until sunset when they have a sound & light show.
    There is a movie too that shows the incredible history and the huge challenge of this project.

    I have to admit that we found it interesting enough that we even spent MORE money on DVD'S telling the story.

    We're enjoying reading your Blog. I'm always way behind on ours so I congratulate you on your efforts & results.

    ReplyDelete