Monday, April 19, 2010

First day in Washington DC







First I want to say that we made it into the Washington DC campground without getting lost. I spent about 30 minutes studying maps before we left and it paid off. We made it here easily. While we were driving, we were still nervous about the new trailer. It pulls differently. Bob says that even though it is longer and wider it is easier to pull than Fanny because of the double axles. Whatever. It was Sunday and the traffic was still awful. But we got here safely and without a hassle.

The campground is nice. There are about 500 camp sites. The check in was smooth and they gave us all of the info that we needed to get into the city. There are two pools (but too cold to enjoy even the heated pool.) This morning we got on the bus that took us to the metro and had no trouble. We got there early before the museums opened and just walked around. When the Smithsonian Museum of American History opened we went in and spent about an hour on one part of one exhibit. We were looking at motors and electricity. Bob loved it. Why am I not surprised. There is so much more to look at, but we had tickets for the Holocaust museum so we left the Smithsonian.
On the way to the Holocaust Museum we passed the Washington monument. It is huge. We did not have tickets to go inside. There were many people outside waiting to get in and they had tickets. I understand that if you don't have tickets by 10 am, forget it. You don't get in. But I don't think I want to climb it. I just wanted to look and realize what a huge monument it is. We will spend more time at other monuments, but this one was right in the middle and was a good place to stop and rest until our tickets for the Holocaust museum (they have timed entrances). We got to the museum early. I was kind of worried about my reaction, given my background and all that I had heard about it. There was a new display on Nazi propaganda and we also went through the permanent exhibit. I was not overwhelmed. It is all stuff that I had seen before. Maybe it is because I have always been interested in this period of time, but it was nothing new. However, it was interesting and it took all day. We then took the Metro to the bus to the campground (about 45 minutes.) We will go back tomorrow. There is still so much to see.
The weather was pretty cold yesterday and this morning. I understand that there was snow in New England yesterday. It was in the 30's here this morning. But Honey has a great heating system so we were fine. We just have not spent any time outside. Today was cold in the morning, but is warmer this evening. Hopefully, it will continue being warm. I am getting really tired of the cold weather.
When we were in Washington DC I admit that I felt overwhelmed by the history of what was there. Just walking around the mall and seeing the historic sites was moving. The mall is getting ready for Earth Day on Sunday so they were setting up tents and portapotties. The mall is truly America's living room.
Bob and I probably walked about 6 or 7 miles today. So we are both tired. And more tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds so cool! How long are you staying in DC? We hope to go - maybe when the 'gater is a little older?

    Can't wait to hear what you see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's the thing about the Least Coast - spring is an iffy thing, at best. I do hope it warms up as you travel northward.

    ReplyDelete