Saturday, April 17, 2010

Virginia

Yesterday morning we left North Carolina and started heading for the rest of our journey. First we had to pack up Honey and try to figure out what might move around when we travel. It was so automatic with Fanny. I used lots of pillows and bungy cords to hold everything in place and pack it all real tight. Bob disconnected water, sewer, and electricity. Then he hooked Honey up to the back of the pick up which had a brand new hitch to more evenly distribute the weight. While he was doing that I went into Fanny and did one last check to make sure that we had not forgotten anything. I locked Fanny up and then gave her a good bye pat. I couldn't believe it when I started to cry. I never cry about losing material possessions. But Fanny was so familiar. I knew every inch of her and what fit where. I have to learn a lot more for Honey, but I really will miss Fanny. I guess I wish we could have kept them both.

The dealership had one more repair to be made so we towed Honey to the welding shop while they fixed the step and we took off at about 10:30 am. We started heading east and went through the North Carolina mountains, spent an hour in Tennessee and then on to Virginia. Our one stop in Tennessee was for lunch at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. Bob has absolutely fallen in love with that restaurant for lunches. He always gets their soup. We even plan our lunch stops around where the next Cracker Barrel is. I never thought Bob would feel that way about a chain restaurant.

The landscape was beautiful. The rolling mountains gave way to rolling hills to rolling even smaller hills. They have cut into some of the hills to make the road. The resulting shale patterns are very striking and beautiful. There are little communtities nestled in between the hills. Each one has a building (I assume a church) with that very tall, very slender steeple that looks like Virginia to me. There are gorgeous purple leaved trees that I have never seen before. they are in full bloom.

One of the interesting things that happened is that during the week that we stayed in North Carolina, spring hit. When we got there, the trees were bare or just barely starting to bud. When we left, there was leaves, albeit sometimes small, but you could see the beauty of the area change in just one week.

We did not drive very far - just about 250 miles. We have stopped at a KOA just about 30 miles past Roanoke. The place is nice and has lots of trees. We had a little trouble leveling and getting hooked up. We realized that there are some more changes that we have to make in how we do things. Meanwhile, Bob spent the night sitting at the dinnette and catching up on all of his accounting stuff. That was a relief. With everything that had been happening - we were spending loads of money but had not kept track of it. We are now caught up.

Breakfast was a snap with the nice stove, the amount of room, the dinette, and the double sinks. We then drove into Roanoke and stopped at a Camping World and a Home Depot. We got more stuff to make it easier on us. We then went grocery shopping and even got stuff for the freezer to be heated in the microwave. We came back and had our frozen lunches. We also got the pick up washed - it was getting very dirty. Bob has spent the last couple of hours rearranging stuff and fixing stuff. No sightseeing today. Just working on Honey and enjoying this nice campground and nice day. Tomorrow morning we leave for Washington DC.

2 comments:

  1. Cracker Barrel is a favorite of mine.... and now that you mention it, I think I will go there tomorrow for lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi -- I've enjoyed catching up on your escapades today! Sounds like even though there have been some bumps in your road, it's turning out fine. I'm glad you're still enjoying yourselves.
    PS - you also brought back memories about how much my dad loved the Cracker Barrel soups whenever he and my mom travelled!!! It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete