Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A whole week later.











I know that I have not posted for a whole week. It was a busy week. Lee was with us and we made really good friends with our neighbors. This is not a problem, but it did interfere with my blogging schedule. Usually I work on my blog in the evening after dinner and dishes. But this group had way too much fun sitting around the campfire - all five of us- until very late, sometimes nine or ten at night. When we were finished I did not feel like blogging - I was too tired. We have met some very nice people on this trip, but meeting Nick and Kris was special. We all felt a connection.
We all really enjoyed St. Augustine. The town was very interesting - lots of very historical stuff and very interesting stuff. And it was well done. There was also some good shopping. Then there was the beach. It was beautiful. You can drive on the beach and park your car right there - they just charge you! So we spent two afternoons just sitting on the beach and soaking up the rays. (Unfortunately Lee got too much sun and wound up with sun poisoning by the time she went home.) But the sun and the warmth felt very good to me. I feel bad for Lee because I know that she enjoys the sun.
Lee left on Saturday morning. Sunday was Easter. Nick and Kristine invited us to join them for lunch after they went to church. We got up and spent some time doing laundry and cleaning the trailer. Nick and Kristine overslept and missed church. But we had a great lunch. The restaurant is an old house right on the main street and the Easter parade went right by the window as we were eating. It was a different kind of parade. Lots of old (very hot looking) Spanish costumes, lots of vintage cars, and several teams of little girls with batons twirling them all down the street. (It reminded me of the many times I watched Stef with her baton.) There were no bands however and I missed that.
Then on Monday we left. The highway was PACKED with RVs. Apparently the day after Easter ( known around here as Easter Monday) is the day that all the sunbirds leave to go back north. Part of the road, particularly in South Carolina was at a standstill for miles. We had reservations in a campground in Point South SC because it is between Savannah and Charleston and we thought that we could stay there for three or four days and not have to move. Well, the campground was not as nice as the last one. First we had reserved a site with full hookups, but they had messed up the reservation and we got a very small site with only water and electric. And we cannot dump our dish water on the ground so without the full hookup I have to be very cautious about dishwashing. (The bath and toilet is not an issue because we just use theirs mostly.) To make it worse the chiggers are terrible. Tonight we pull out the full force insect repellent. They also got our reservation wrong. We planned to stay for three days. They charged us for four days. When I went back to tell them, they could not figure out how to change it and said that the only option was to leave a day early and then come in for a refund. (Not a good way to do business.)
So, I thought we would not spend much time there but rather in Savannah and Charleston. I asked for info about the two cities and the folks at the campground told us that there was a visitor center a block away. So this morning we went into the visitors center. I asked about Savannah. The woman looked at me and shouted "NO" "This is South Carolina" Bob and I just turned and left. I couldn't believe how rude she was. We stopped at the Georgia visitor center and got some info. When we got into Savannah the lines to take the tours were very long. It would have taken us over an hour to just get on a tour bus. So we got in the car and found a parking spot. We had brought our lunch and sat and ate it in one of the squares. I think that there are more tourists in Savannah than people who live there. It was filled with tourists.
That is not to say that it was not interesting. It was just filled with tourists. We walked around and visited the maritime museum - maritime is big in Savannah. We then took a tour in a carriage - pictures in the next blog if I remember. This is an interesting way to tour because it is much slower. However, it was hot and the smell of horse manure can get a little strong in the heat.
I am currently sitting at the South Carolina visitor center. We spent a great day in Savannah and saw all the historical sights and had a great beer watching some unkown soccer game in a Scottish pub. My cell phone coverage in the campsite is spotty so I was not able to blog last night. Bob is sitting in the pickup reading a novel. I am at one of the picnic benches. It is sunny and 85 degrees.
Being on the east coast is very different. I don't know for sure what to think about it. I have decided that I will wait until we have been on the road for two months - that is only five days from now - and then try to decide my thinking about all of this. I'm really having a good time, but the pace here is just different and I am not used to it.
I don't know if I will be able to blog for the next few days because of the cell phone coverage, but I will try. Keep thinking good thoughts about us.

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo of you and Bob at the restaurant! I love following you along your journey - thanks for the updates. ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete