Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passover in St. Augustine








Our first day in St. Augustine was (you guessed it) rainy. It rained really hard. But we had no leaks, so I am thankful. Now that we are in one place and not moving every day I have gotten better about getting my exercise. There is a really nice walk that I can take from our campground to the ocean. It is just a mile. Then I can walk along the beach for a mile. I feel better already.
Anyway, it was nice in the morning on Sunday then rained all Sunday night and Monday morning. It was cold and uncomfortable, so we all sat in the trailer and read and talked. It cleared up in time for us to have a Passover. Bob worked all day and baked a brisket in the toaster oven - not as good as home, but not bad. While he was cooking, sis and I did a little sightseeing. We saw a lighthouse that allowed you to walk to the top. However the steps were open in the middle and I started getting dizzy because I couldn't keep from looking down. So after two flights (with about seven more to go) I said that I had had enough and went back down. Sis kept going for a few flights but then her knees starting bothering her so she came down. (This getting old is the pits.) When we got back to the campsite I made charoses. I set up the seder plate and we had all of the important elements - thanks to sis. We skipped the soup and the gefilte fish. We had a nice little service and a good meal. (But my sis and I missed the gefilte fish - so we bought some at the grocery today and had it for lunch on Tuesday. It is amazing how you can miss a food like that.)
We had the seder before sundown so that I could get the dishes done with some light. Then we sat around the campfire. The campsites here are close enough together that there was an issue over whether we were using the right fire pit. Rather than fight about it, Bob went to our neighbors and suggested that we just share the fire pit. All we do is sit around and talk and drink wine - they do the same - so we could do it together. We had a delightful conversation with new friends.
Today the sun was out, but it was a little chilly. Bob just wanted to just sit back and enjoy doing nothing. I wanted to get some exercise. I walked in the morning and took my bike later this morning and measured how far I had walked (four miles). It was a good bike ride.
Then sis and I went into St. Augustine and did the touristy stuff. There is an old fort here that we both really enjoyed. There is a lot more to see and we will undoubtedly go back tomorrow. We had leftover seder tonight - leftover seder is wonderful. Then we had campfire with our neighbors again. The picture is from tonight's campfire. I am truly amazed at how wonderful it is to meet new people. That will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of this trip. Anyway this couple have a daughter who lives in Portland. They come to visit her often. We will exchange contact information and maybe these will continue to be friends.
The weather is getting warmer and warmer. By the end of the week beach time should be in order. Bob is really looking forward to taking our scooters to the beach. In fact he is really looking forward to just riding our scooters. Because of the weather we have not had much of a chance. It looks like we might get more of a chance here. Yeah!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree. It is a complete mystery how anyone could miss a food like that (Gefilte fish!!

    Looks like you had a wonderful seder. I really miss you all!

    I'm hoping that the sun comes out for you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! No postings since TUESDAY??? What up with that???

    ReplyDelete