Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's raining


Well we had a few nice days. It was beautiful this morning and I went for a lovely walk at sunrise. The picture is of the sun rising over the bayou. Then we went into New Iberia. This is a town that Bob wanted to see because he had been a recruiting officer here over 60 years ago. Well, needless to say the town has changed. In addition, Bob's memory has faded. He did not remember anything or recognize any building. The downtown area is pretty deserted and there are lots of empty stores. There was a museum in the middle of town and it was closed. We drove around and did some errands and found that the commercial area is on a strip a few blocks from town with a Wal-mart, a Walgreen's, a McDonald's, a domino's Pizza, etc. Small town America is dying. The other thing that is interesting is that everyone we talked with here did not have have a southern accent. They are all transplants. We went into a restaurant that had been recommended as having great Cajun food. Our waitress was a tiny Asian girl who talked so fast I kept asking her to slow down. I believe that is not the typical Cajun way. By the way the food was terrific and very fattening.
So, I am eating all of this good food and was shocked this morning when I got on the scale. Three pounds up!!!! So today I really cut back on what I am eating. It is so easy when you are trying new foods to just keep eating until you finish the entire plate. That is always my downfall. I really have to exercise portion control.
When we got back to the trailer it was clouding over and starting to rain. Bob and I spent some time deciding where to go next (Natchez Mississippi) and making some reservations for two nights. (Couldn't get a third night because it was a weekend. We will deal with Friday when we get to Friday.) Then Bob made a scrumptious tomato basil soup. I then spent some time Skyping with my daughter and grandson - what a great invention. (It has finally stopped raining by the way. Maybe tomorrow will be sunny.) Soon to bed and ready for another day's travels.

2 comments:

  1. Baby Boy had a hard night last night. Woke up after about an hour screaming. I tried to sooth, but he was really unhappy. We finally gave him some motrin, and that seemed to help and he slept the rest of the night. Today, he took a 1-hour morning nap then a 2 1/2 hour afternoon nap! He was a happy chappy tonight! Then 7:15 hit and he got fussy. Well, ok, at 7:10, he slammed his hand in the drawer, and was VERY unhappy. And by 7:15, he was doing the 'eh eh eh eh...' that wasn't crying anymore, but was fussy. Anyway, I started the bedtime routine, and by 7:35 he was SOUND asleep!

    There's the babyboy report for you! Hope you had a sunny day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the sunrise over the bayou! You can take more of these.... I love them.

    ReplyDelete