Thursday, March 11, 2010

Galveston Beach







We did stay another day in San Antonio. It was sunny and 80 degrees. It was beautiful. We first did some more errands and bought Bob about 20 books. He reads every night so he is going through the books pretty quickly. We are finding that many of the rv parks have exchange libraries, but they don't seem to have the kind of books that Bob likes. Anyway we sat in the sun long enough that I have a slight burn - not too bad, but I can see it.

We left and decided to avoid the interstates and took the back roads. The scenery is now pretty flat and at times very flat. But there is lots of grass and trees and the rivers are finally getting to be the size that I am used to seeing. Up until now that they have been mostly streams even though they are called rivers. We stopped early at Lake Texana state park. We got a site right on the lake. It was beautiful. We just sat and read and stared at the lake.

Before we set up camp we decided to make a few calls and see if we could get reservations for Galveston. The first place I called the lady almost laughed at me. It is spring break week. She had no openings. I then called the state park. I thought she said that she had openings, but we got cut off and I could not get her back. The staff person in the office at Texana then called for me and got through directly. We have a spot in Galveston Beach for three nights. We got up early and I hoped to spend a little time enjoying the beautiful lake. But it was so foggy we could not see the lake. Being from Oregon we expected the fog to clear before noon. It did not clear before noon. In fact, it did not clear all day. By sunset it was thicker than before. The forecasters say that it will be nice tomorrow. I hope so. We have a gorgeous campsite here on Galveston Beach. I took some pictures, but all you can see is fog. They do not show much so I will wait to show pictures if it clears up.

We did drive into Galveston. It is about 13 miles and flat. If the weather turns nice tomorrow we may even drive back on our scooters. The main street in Galveston has lots of touristy places, but it looks like there are a few interesting museums. There are lots of interesting old buildings. I do not know the point of the huge trumpet but I will try to find out.

For the first time that I can ever remember Bob said that he was not hungry for dinner. We had planned on having leftover chili. So we got into the trailer and out of the wind and the drizzle and had a picnic of sausage, cheese, and crackers - and a little wine. (We have to be careful about the wine because it is unlawful to drink alcoholic beverages in a state park. So we drink them out of coffee cups.)

My friend and neighbor called today and said that she had been reading my blog and that it seemed like we were living a simple life. I had not thought about it that way, but she is right. We do have a very simple life right now. It is enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Alex has had some good nights, but we really miss you. I'm glad you're living simply and wonderfully! Love you.

    ReplyDelete