Friday, May 21, 2010

Now outside of Boston


What an incredibly beautiful ride from Burlington Vermont to here. The green mountains were indeed very very green. Spring is here and everything was covered in a blanket of green. The views were spectacular.

Comments on the day. Green seems to be the color here. The Vermont license plates are green with white lettering and the New Hampshire plates are white with green lettering. My favorite laugh of the day was the town of Contoocook. Bob looked at the sign and said Can Too Cook? Good laugh. For some reason both Vermont and New Hampshire do not post signs telling you what restaurants are at the next off ramp. They do tell you if there is food, but you have no idea what kind. For those of us who are not particularly interested in McDonald's it means you have to get off at the exit and drive up and down and see what is there. We gave up and went to a rest area and made lunch in Honey.
That being said, I do understand why people would like to live in Vermont. I did not realize how small the state is and that it is 49th in population. (I then spent some time figuring out which was 50th by going through my maps alphabetically. Guess which one - Wyoming). But there is a real pride here in the state and I really do like the priorities.
Bob was just amazed at how quickly we went through Vermont and New Hampshire and got to Massachusetts. He keeps thinking of states in terms of the size out west. He is amazed when we go through a state in little more than an hour.
We are at a very rural campground about 30 miles from Boston. It is interesting how we wound up here. I really did not intend to go to any big cities. It is too hard to camp. So I spent quite a bit of time going through all of the various routes to get to Cape Cod and the various campgrounds and state parks. There is a web site called RV Parks Review.com. I always check it to see what others have found at various campgrounds. For the msot part we have found that the recommendations are pretty accurate. We could not find a spot with good recommendations between Burlington and Cape Cod except here outside of Boston. So, rather than drive a while and stay two nights and then drive some more - we are spending four days here outside of Boston.
I am surprised at the amount of trees and at how rural it is here. We were set up by 2 pm even though we had the fun of the trailer coming off the stack of wood to hold it up and we had to start all over again. We have a lovely spot that feels like a campground in rural Oregon. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing laundry and changing the sheets on the bed (that is quite a chore). After dinner I drove to the nearest grocery store and realized after I had picked up all of the groceries that I did not have my wallet. I called Bob and he could not find it. I drove back to the campsite and he called right before I got here and said that he had found it. Scary. I was so tired by the time that I drove back again and put the groceries away. I need a good night's sleep. (Bob does too - he did not sleep well last night.)
Tomorrow we take a tour of Boston - it will be a long day.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand Bob's reaction to the size of the states on the east coast. I used to be able to drive from our home outside of Boston to Portsmouth, New Hampshire in about an hour, and hope across the bridge to Maine in a matter of minutes.

    I hope you enjoy Boston, Mo!

    ReplyDelete