Sunday, May 16, 2010

Through the Adirondacks







We left Cooperstown and really had no idea where we were going next. We simply headed for the Adirondacks. We took the most direct route that did not involve a freeway and just started driving. (On the way we passed the towns of Sloanville and Lawyerville. I had to laugh at both.) The weather was beautiful. The sky was blue with "designer clouds." As we got into the mountainous area I could feel the joy and the relaxation. I guess that I am becoming more of a wilderness person than I realized.
As we were driving it felt more like Oregon than anywhere else that we had been. It was beautiful. But I could not help comparing the two areas. The mountains here were much lower and the trees were much smaller than in Oregon. There were many fewer pines and more deciduous trees. In the lower elevations the trees were full green. As we got higher they were just starting to bud. But there were many many more lakes. These lakes are gorgeous. They are big and deep and blue. We wanted to camp there, but all of the state campgrounds in the mountains were still closed - some are closed for the whole year because of finances. Even the Adirondack Museum had not yet opened for the season. There were no private campgrounds. So we just kept driving.
One big difference that I noticed between here and Oregon was private property. I am used to Oregon where the mountains are federal forests and there is no private land. Here the Adirondacks are a state park and there is lots of private property - there are some summer homes and many motels, hotels, and lodges of one sort or another. It did not feel like a park.
We lucked into a wonderful place for lunch. It was a rustic cabin in the middle of the forest. We asked about the soup of the day. I made a face when she said "split pea." I have never liked split pea. She told me that she did not like it either, but that she did like this and she offered a taste. That was wonderful split pea soup. Yummy. What a find.
We drove straight through the middle of the park and wound up at the eastern edge in Plattsburgh New York. The city is on the edge of Lake Champlain - another big, deep, blue lake. (I wonder why the lakes are so much more beautiful here than in Oregon.) We found a state campground and after some finangling are finally in the spot. (The first spot they gave us was too steep and we could not level Honey.) The temperature is in the 70's and we are planning to have a campfire. Tomorrow, if it is sunny as the weather predicts, we may just sit in the sun at the beach. We may even take out the bicycles and the scooters. so much of what we do now depends on the weather.
I am reminded of what someone once told me about the proper people to tree ratio. This park has the proper people to tree ratio. I feel comfortable and Bob is relaxed and happy. Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've missed a lot being sick! This place looks really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete